Club History

The fixture card and all those who know the club well can recite evidence of cricket on Aldborough Green in 1859 and therefore and quite rightly assume the formation of the club prior to that date.

As yet the exact date the club was formed remains a mystery,  but the earliest reference is catalogued in an unpublished journal entitled “Cricketing References in Norwich Newspapers, 1701 to 1800″ (Penny J. S, Norwich, 1979).

The extract is from The Norfolk Chronicle and reports a cricket match on 22nd July 1797 in which Gentlemen of Aldborough were included in a composite team of Aylsham and District, “On Thurfday fe’ennight was played a match at Cricket, between the gentlemen of Lyng and Elfing, against Aylfham, Blickling, Aldborough, and Thurgaton, which was decided in favour of the former, by seven wickets to go down”.

So played one, lost one!